The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services released the January payment update to the EHR Incentive Program through January 2012. Here are some data from the EHR Incentive Payment Summary for January 2012.
- 22,937 Eligible Professionals (EP) received incentive payments
- $412,866,000 distributed
- Average per EP = $18,000
- Top 4 Specialties: Family Medicine – 23%; Internal Medicine – 22%; Cardiology – 8%; GI – 5%
- 18,319 EPs received incentive payments
- $384,628,458 distributed
- Average per EP = $20,996
Medicare (May 2011 – January 2012); Medicaid (January 2011 – January 2012)
- 41,256 EPs received incentive payments through January 2012
- $797,494,458 distributed to date
The number of physicians and other eligible professionals receiving EHR incentive payments is growing steadily. In May 2011, the first month for the Medicare incentives, only 281 EPs received payment. In the first month of the Medicaid program (January 2011) just 36 EPs received an incentive payment.
For more information about the EHR Incentive Program, visit the CMS website.