At the end of December 2010, URAC announced the release of a Patient-Centered Health Care Home Toolkit. URAC describes the PCHCH as:
“…an interdisciplinary clinician-led team approach to delivering and coordinating care that puts patients, family members, and personal caregivers at the center of all decisions concerning the patient’s health and wellness. A PCHCH provides comprehensive and individualized access to physical health, behavioral health, and supportive community and social services, ensuring patients receive the right care in the right setting at the right time.“
The announcement identifies the components of the toolkit as follows:
- Practice Assessment Standards, Interpretive Guidance and Checklist — Enabling practices to self-assess themselves in the following key areas:
- Core Quality Care Management
- Patient-Centered Operations Management
- Access and Communications
- Testing and Referrals
- Care Management and Coordination
- Advanced Electronic Capabilities
- Performance Reporting and Improvement
- Performance Measures Information Resource — Identifying measures directly pertinent to the provision of high quality patient centered care.
- Survey Information Resource — Providing an overview and recommendation of publicly available patient experience surveys.
The toolkit is related to a program developed by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, though URAC involved an Advisory Group to help create the latest program. In full disclosure, one of my staff was on the Advisory Group.
URAC provides a link to to the toolkit and resources and specifically identifies what the the PCHCH program is NOT:
- An accreditation program
- A one-size-fits-all model
- Rigid with mandatory requirements
- A point-in-time audit
- Limited to physicians
This post is the personal opinion of the author and does not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the American College of Physicians (ACP). ACP does not endorse a specific EHR brand or product and ACP makes no representations, warranties, or assurances as to the accuracy or completeness of the information provided herein.