About > Who We Are > Partner Organizations > AAFP
Approximately one in four of all office visits are made to family physicians. That is 240 million office visits each year — nearly 87 million more than the next largest medical specialty. Today, family physicians provide more care for America’s underserved and rural populations than any other medical specialty. Family medicine’s cornerstone is an ongoing, personal patient-physician relationship focused on integrated care.
The AAFP’s mission is to improve the health of patients, families, and communities by serving the needs of family physician members with professionalism and creativity.
- Advocacy - Shape health care policy through interactions with government, the public, business, and the health care industry:
- Advance the patient-centered medical home (PCMH);
- Increase payment to family physicians;
- Advance health care for all; and
- Increase the family physician workforce.
- Practice Enhancement - Enhance AAFP members’ ability to fulfill their practice and career goals:
- Assist members to become designated PCMHs;
- Promote the ongoing imperative for practice redesign through education and communication; and
- Assist AAFP members to achieve financial success through optimal practice management.
- Education – Promote high-quality, innovative education for physicians, residents, and medical students that encompasses the art, science, evidence, and socioeconomics of family medicine:
- Increase the number of members and non-members who utilize AAFP Continuing Medical Education in pursuit of life-long learning;
- Increase funding streams for undergraduate, graduate, and continuing medical education; and
- Develop mechanisms that will increase Part III Maintenance of Certification passing rate of family medicine residency graduates.
- Health of the Public - Assume a leadership role in health promotion, disease prevention, and chronic disease management:
- Involve family physicians in targeted public health activities, specifically tobacco, obesity, exercise, and immunizations.
- Increase member and patient awareness of resources on www.familydoctor.org
Resources Available From the AAFP:
AAFP Center for Health IT
Most of the AAFP’s health IT resources are provided by its nationally recognized Center for Health IT. The AAFP also offers an affordable, easy-to-use, secure electronic messaging service for physicians called AAFP Physicians Direct.
Practice Management Resources
The AAFP has a number of resources to help practices navigate the world of practice management, including guides on coding and financial benchmarking tools.
The AAFP’s esteemed practice management journal, Family Practice Management, has published a number of informative articles about EHRs.
A non-profit, wholly-owned subsidiary of the AAFP, TransforMED, provides affordable, accessible, ongoing consultation and resources for practices involved in patient-centered medical home transformation. TransforMED offers practices both products and services, including consultation and advice on implementing health information technology for optimum benefit to both patients and physicians. To learn more about TransforMED, visit www.transformed.com.
More about the AAFP
To learn more about the specialty of family medicine, the AAFP's positions on issues and clinical care, and for downloadable multi-media highlighting family medicine, visit www.aafp.org/media. For information about health care, health conditions, and wellness, please visit the AAFP’s award-winning consumer website, www.familydoctor.org.